Temazcal Ceremonies: Otomi Culture Adventure Tour
- Duration: 10 Hours
- Location: Mexico: Centro Ceremonial Otomi, Temoaya
Join our private tour from Mexico City to visit the impressive Otomi Ceremonial Center and participate in the traditional ceremonies of temazcal. Except for this, you will learn about the ancient Otomi culture and tapestry techniques, try pulque, local food specialties, and much more!
- Enjoy the mountainous beauty of the Cumbres Sierra Nevada National Park.
- Visit the most important ceremonial center of the Otomi people located high in the mountains where the land meets the clouds.
- Get to know the Otomi people, one of the most ancient inhabitants of Central Mexico.
- Learn about the original production techniques of the nation-famous woolen Otomi tapestry.
- Join the traditional body-and-spirit cleansing ceremonies of temazcal in Finca la Venturosa.
- Connect with the Mexican prehispanic background in a fun and authentic way!
In the morning, start the adventure and head to Temoaya, the center of the Otomi culture. On the way, enjoy the mountainous beauty of the landscape and a picturesque lake. Then, continue to the Otomi Ceremonial Centre, an architectural ensemble of pre-Hispanic inspiration.
There, visit a local museum and see how the whole set seeks to preserve the traditions of the culture that refused to become extinct. After exploring the center, go to a nearby ecological park for a traditional temazcal ceremony. This practice has been carried out for centuries for hygienic as well as for therapeutic and ritual purposes.
In the afternoon, cleansed and energized try some pulque, a traditional fermented drink that has been consumed by the local population for ages.
After an optional lunch, go to San Pedro Abajo, a well-known center of the craft tapestry industry. It is world-famous for its hand-knotted carpets with fantastic indigenous designs. There, visit a cooperative society workshop to see the traditional production of woolen garments by local Otomi women.
Later, go to Temoaya to walk down its cobbled streets and visit its main square and church. Finally, after a full day of discoveries, we can return to our vehicle and relax on our way back to Mexico City.
Why go with us
- You will spend the time of the tour purely on its activities and sightseeing: no visits to souvenir shops and restaurants (unless you ask).
- An ideal choice for small groups: the price of the tour is fixed and varies just slightly depending on the size of the group.
- We are flexible: we can adjust the program and route to your interests while the duration of the tour can always be extended for an extra fee.
- DEPARTURE LOCATION AND TIME
The default departure times for this tour are 8 am and 9 am but we can also adjust them per your request. Our guide will meet/pick you up at the requested time and might need to contact you by phone. Therefore, please kindly provide a valid phone number during your booking.
Complimentary pick-up/drop-off is included: please indicate the exact time and location for your pick-up during your booking (e.g. in the "Special Requirements" field). That is to say, we can pick you up from those parts of Mexico City: Polanco, Condesa, Roma, Centro Historico. Other more remote locations might involve an extra fee.
- TOUR DURATION AND CUSTOMIZATION
The standard duration of the tour counts from the moment of a meetup till the end of the tour. On the other hand, the tour is customizable which means we can adjust the time you spend at each destination. For example, if you want to visit an extra location (attraction/restaurant/market, etc.), you can do it on a complimentary basis if this visit (1) fits the default duration of the tour and (2) doesn't involve a major change of the route.
- WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU
Comfortable clothes and shoes; swimming suit, slippers and towel; hat/cap, sunglasses and sunscreen; travel insurance; good mood and curiosity.
- The type of vehicle depends on the size of your group and may include car, 7-seater, minivan.
- This is a private tour: only your group will participate.
- Travelers should have a basic physical fitness condition.